Personal Injury Protection… Your wellness after an auto accident.
Did you know that, by Oregon law, every automobile insurance policy is required to pay up to $15,000 (for a period of one year) for medical costs to cover injuries resulting in a motor vehicle accident? This can include, but not limited to, chiropractic, massage therapy and physical therapy. (1)
Did you also know that symptoms may show up immediately or weeks to months after an auto accident? Or that you can sustain injuries with as little as 2.5 mph speeds at the time of collision? One other interesting fact is that it takes upwards of 15 mph to cause visible damage to a car bumper! (2)
What’s the point I am trying to make you may be asking. The point is that many people walk away from an auto accident injured but not know it. They then relinquish their rights for medical attention to later suffer life altering pain or discomfort. With all of the fear of fraud accusations or concern of time lost at work to make necessary appointments some might simply let it drop but regret it later. Don’t let this happen to you!
Here are the steps to take after an accident… (3)
- Do your best to remain calm. Panic in these situations can hinder ones thinking.
- Determine the extent of the damage. Take photos of all involved vehicles if you can.
- File an accident report with the police.
- Discuss the details only with the police.
- Get the facts! All information (license plate, drivers license, address, insurance) of all involved persons/ cars.
- Call your insurance agent.
- Get your car fixed.
- Pay attention to your health. Get checked out! Going to a chiropractor to begin your evaluation is perfectly acceptable… See the list of recommendations on my home page.
- Find a lawyer if you run into any obstacles.
The article at www.accidentwatchdog.com gives much more great information.
As for treatment options, working with a team of health care providers offers you more opportunities for healing. I am a firm believer in incorporating structural manipulation (ie Chiropractic), energy medicine (ie Acupuncture or other forms), and soft tissue work (ie Massage Therapy) to help the body find it’s way back to health. For several years I have been a part of alternative health care teams that have had great success in getting results. Surgeries avoided, permanent results achieved. It can be done! My personal philosophy is to start at the least invasive, leaving the most invasive as a last resort.
If you are unfortunate enough to find yourself in an motor vehicle accident, get in touch with me. I have a team all lined up!